AMD vs. Intel

AMD vs. Intel

Post by BloodDrunk on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:13 am

What are your opinions between the two?
Do you prefer one or another, and why so?

Does anybody have any experience and confirm that one dominates the other?

As for me, I'd go with AMD, because it's more price-friendly, and performs pretty much the same like Intel (for my own needs).
Currently rocking an entire AMD based system, and loving it so far.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: AMD vs. Intel

Post by _haru on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:14 am

Even though I have an AMD chip in my gaming PC, I'm going to have to go with Intel. It's what I grew up working with and the chips are far more common in my area.
_haru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by huckleberrypie on Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 am

linuxfanatic wrote:Even though I have an AMD chip in my gaming PC, I'm going to have to go with Intel. It's what I grew up working with and the chips are far more common in my area.
It's pretty much the same consensus in my case. I don't mind using AMD but recent experience tells me they run rather hot compared to equivalent Intel CPUs.

Not to mention that Hackintoshes work best on Intel since Apple coded their kernels with Intel in mind. Tongue Out

huckleberrypie

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodDrunk on Wed May 10, 2017 7:07 pm

@huckleberrypie
It's pretty much the same consensus in my case. I don't mind using AMD but recent experience tells me they run rather hot compared to equivalent Intel CPUs.
Do both mobile and desktop AMD CPU's heat alot, or just mobile ones? On my laptop AMD reaches about 70+° C when playing an older game, but wouldn't know if it's same on the desktop ones.
Maybe it's because I'm not using a cooler?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal_god on Wed May 10, 2017 9:18 pm

I don't get it, all of AMD pc's in the past and now had not had any problems in terms of temperature,didn't change thermal grease for 3 years still temps were the same as before

Eternal_god

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodDrunk on Wed May 10, 2017 9:45 pm

@Eternal_god wrote:I don't get it, all of AMD pc's in the past and now had not had any problems in terms of temperature,didn't change thermal grease for 3 years still temps were the same as before
Blew away the dust in it?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal_god on Thu May 11, 2017 9:54 pm

well of course i did,but intel always had heat problems with stock coolers,couldn't be bothered to buy a aftermarket

Eternal_god

Back to top Go down

Post by tsumikicchi on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35 am

As someone who grew up experiencing both brands, I prefer AMD.

The Athlon II X2 250 which is in my mom's PC is surprisingly cool in contrast to the Core 2 Duo E8400 that I owned which are both dual cores and runs on the same clock and are on the same age. Hers go 35C min / ~47C max while mine went 55C min / ~79C max and that's not even overclocked and both builds got the same thermal compound. 

Also had a spare Athlon II X2 220 unit which is comparably weak and almost as good as a Sandybridge Celeron and had it overclocked from 2.8 GHz/DDR3 533/1.4 Vcore up to 3.5 GHz/DDR3 800Mhz/1.25 Vcore on stock cooler and temps are just the same as mom's while having little improvement in games due to the fact that I undervolted it.

Right now I have a Phenom II X3 720 with all cores unlocked and I'm using it mainly for my digital arts and slight gaming. Was about to change it to an FX-8320e but I got stood up when I was about to claim it lmao. I underclocked the Phenom while undervolting it as it's quite of a power hogger at 125W when unlocked and it's relatively hot. However, temps turned out quite satisfactory with ~45C min / ~65 max and a significant decrease in the power bill, which is still relatively cooler than the Intels that I owned (E8400, a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, and a 3 GHz Core 2 Duo E8400).

Additional note: among all these that I tried to OC, the AMDs turned out to be stable and flexible overclockers even in stock coolers as I constantly ran into problems with my Intels mostly towards temps.

Also, do take note that Mom had 2 Core 2 Duo units that died on her (as in, they self-destructed for no reason and they didn't had any OC history either) for a year before she went AMD route, and her AMD PC is still running good even after 4 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum